1. nil: having no quantity or magnitude
• zero inflation
2. minimal: very small in amount or extent (informal)
• Our chances of winning are zero.
• had zero confidence
3. METEOROLOGY with limited visibility: describes a level of visibility limited to 15 m/50 ft vertically or 50 m/165 ft horizontally
4. LINGUISTICS lacking usual expression of feature: characterized by the absence of a form or feature that exists elsewhere in the same linguistic context, e.g. an inflection or vowel change
[Early 17th century. Via French and Italian < Arabic ṣifr "emptiness"]